The Fourth Air Force originally constituted as Southwest Air District on October 19, 1940, was activated on December 18, 1940, as part of the General Headquarters Air Force and was subsequently subordinate to the Western Defense Command. It was designated 4th Air Force on April 9, 1941, and re-designated Fourth Air Force on September 18, 1941. This organization 'provided air defense for the western US until 1943, and at the same time trained new air combat organizations. Later in the war, Fourth Air Force was engaged primarily in training replacements for combat units.
COMMANDS: IV Bomber: 1941 - 1944. IV Fighter: 1941-1944. IV Ground Air Support: 1941 - 1942.
STATIONS: March Field, California, December 18, 1940; Riverside, California, January 16, 1941; Hamilton Field, California, December 7, 1941; San Francisco, California, January 5, 1942 - end.
COMMANDERS: Maj. Gen. Jacob E. Fickel, December 18, 1940; Maj.Gen. George C. Kenney, April 2, 1942; Maj. Gen. Barney McK. Giles, July 22, 1942; Maj. Gen. William E, Kepner, March 18, 1943; Maj. Gen.William E. Lynd, July 8, 1943; Maj. Gen. James E. Parker, July 14, 1944; Brig. Gen. Auby C. Strickland, January 3, 1945; Maj. Gen. James E. Parker, January 25, 1945; Brig. Gen. Edward M. Morris, May 19, 1945; Maj. Gen. Willis H. Hale, July 6, 1945 - end.
CAMPAIGNS: American Theater.
INSIGNE: Shield: azure, a white star, charged with a red disc, all within a white winged amulet upheld by four golden yellow rays, radiating from base point, all within a border of the last. (Approved September 1, 1943.)
Patch price includes shipping.